all because two people fell in love...
Friday, May 15, 2009
Growing up...
I have to admit that I think there is one downfall to having children so close in age...Sadly, the first born is somewhat forced to "grow up" quicker than they would if they were still an only child. When I think about this, it makes me sad that Mackenzie is no longer my "baby." She will ALWAYS be my baby, but she is no longer the baby in the family. With that said, she is such a big girl now and is actually sleeping in her own bed, in her own room! If you had asked me a month ago if I thought she would ever sleep in her own room, I would have probably looked at you funny and laughed. As most of you know, Kenz has never been one to sleep well. Prior to a few weeks ago she was still sleeping in bed with Bryan and I (which we absolutely LOVED and now miss). We tried many different things to get her to sleep on her own...We moved her crib in our room, tried a co-sleeper, pack n play, bassinet, and even a toddler bed. None of which seemed to get her to sleep on her own through the night. So we decided a few weeks ago to buy her a day bed with a trundle (per our pediatricians advice) so that either Bryan or I could sleep on the trundle if she needed one of us in the room with her. So for the last couple of weeks Bry has been sleeping on the trundle in her room with her...Until last night. Bry went back to work yesterday (after being off for almost 6 weeks!) and I am SO proud to say that Kenz slept in her bed all by herself! She didn't wake up once! She came into my room at 5:45 this morning and said "Hi Mommy!" Talk about a proud moment! I thought I would be really sad when she finally graduated to her own room, but I have to say I've been so proud and excited (and busy) that there's no time for being sad about it. I've realized it's part of motherhood. Sometimes there are things you want to hold on to forever...words they mispronounce (that sound so cute), silly faces they make, rocking them to sleep at night, etc...I could write a list of a thousand things. The reality is, they grow up. As sad as it might be, it is so gratifying to watch them grow right before your eyes. And so it is happening, right before me...my sweet little girl is slowly growing up. I couldn't be more proud of her. I know she is proud of herself too which makes it that much more rewarding. Now if I could just get Luke to sleep on his own...I'm such a sucker! I could snuggle with my kids forever. :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
that is so great that you have conquered the sleeping problem! I know it can be a huge thing!
ReplyDeleteGreat news! And yes, it is wonderful and sad all at the same time to watch them growing up so quickly!
ReplyDelete