I don't know exactly what it is about the rain that fuels me, but it's like food for my brain. It makes me think. Deeply. It makes me want to write and although I'm not the best writer, I love doing it. Especially here on this blog where my children will be able to relive their childhood years from now.
I've been contemplating writing this post for a few days now. I've read several posts recently (from other bloggers I follow) and was inspired by what they had written. One wrote about how some people falsely portray this perfect life they live, when the reality is, well...life isn't always "rainbows and unicorns." Which isn't to say you shouldn't post positive, happy things on your blog every day. I know I do. I guess my point is, I started wondering if I'm guilty of that. That false portrayal. Truth is...I'm not. I complain a lot. I sometimes think life isn't fair. I have bad days. I get frustrated with my kids. My house isn't clean all the time. Do I blog about those things every day? Of course not. Who wants to read about my daily woes? I most definitely don't want to dwell on them. I certainly don't want to depict our life incorrectly, but I also don't want my kids to have these wonderful books to read and have the contents of them be all about me complaining about the twelve loads of laundry I have to wash, or how tired I am because I chose to go to bed at 1:30 a.m. and Luke woke up at 5:30 the next morning. I try to use my ten on tuesday posts for venting. ;) Jami (fellow blogger) also writes about how we compare ourselves to others and then feel discouraged after reading their blogs, perhaps because we "think" they are better Mama's/wives/friends, etc...You can read her post here. She pretty much rocks and is uber inspiring all the way around. If you have some time to read her blog and learn her story, you should. No really, you should. Back to the original topic...I think it's natural to compare ourselves to others or feel insecure and/or jealous on occasion. But like Jami said, instead of comparing, we should use others to inspire and encourage us. To help us better ourselves. So...that's what I'm doing. I'm going to take what I'm good at and run with it. And the things I'm not so good at? Well, I'm going to take those and run with them too. And who knows...maybe I'll be good at those one day too. I'm just like the rest of you. Bad days, good days, and everything in between. This is me. And most of the time, I'm just, well...happy. I LOVE life. It's truly a gift. God has given me the opportunity to live it to the fullest and enjoy every minute, so guess what? I'm gonna. And as for all that in-between-not-so-good-stuff, I'm not gonna let it bring me down. Not even for a second. And that's the truth.
"The happiest people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they simply make the best of everything they have."
Great thoughts! I will have to read that blog because I do often feel bad after reading some blogs and wonder if I am the only one who yells at my kids sometimes or don't feel like cleaning my house. Thanks for sharing your thoughts it means a lot!
ReplyDeleteGreat post! :)
ReplyDeleteVery interesting post, Jaimie, and I really enjoyed reading the post you linked. I could write a lot about this...
ReplyDeleteMy skeptical nature tells me that when people write only positive things, rainbows and unicorns, they aren't being honest and authentic, and I will read while taking it ALL with a grain of salt.
Life Is Hard. And it is so for everyone, to some degree. I/We are blessed richly, and need to live in gratitude and contentment. But if things aren't hard in this season, they will be later. So for those bloggers who only write happy dappy things, if things honestly are going THAT well, then hard things will come to them, also, and I need not be jealous of their seemingly perfect life.
As for my own blogging, I personally try to present an honest view of our family, within reason, given the audience. My MIL and parents read it religiously, so some things aren't for their consumption, kwim? :)